10k RACE
It is finally here! The 10K (6.2 miles) that I signed up to run is tomorrow. I am nervous/excited. Nervous because I have never run a 10k in my life and excited because I am finally going to accomplish this goal I set for myself. I am also somewhat excited because I have been training for 2 months for this race and I f eel like I have prepared myself. My training has looked something like this across the 8 week span each week getting harder. (I used Hal Higdon's training program).
Monday--30 min cross train to 45 min cross train.
Tuesday--2.5 mile run
Wednesday--Stretch and Strengthen
Thursday--40 min cross train to 60 min cross train
Friday--(hard day) 3 mile run to 5.5 mile run
Saturday--2 mile run and strength
Sunday-- Rest
This program has been really nice because I don't run everyday. It is a nice mix of biking, walking, elliptical, running, and weights. In other words, it didn't wear me out.
For those of you who like to exercise, you know that daily repetition in working out is not the best way. You have to continually confuse your muscles so that they don't plateau and get used to the exercises. This program was perfect muscle confusion and I kept seeing improvements.
I also noticed that I have started sweating a lot more in the past 3-4 weeks than I usually did. I mentioned this to my friend and she said, "gross". But I remember hearing that if you sweat more it means you are healthier. I Googled it to be sure and this is what I read--in less words.
If you are fit you will sweat not only sooner and more, but also effectively. Fit people are able to keep their internal temperature lower due to efficiently sweating.
Now I don't feel so bad for sweating more. But it doesn't mean that I like it.
However, I am glad that I set this goal of to run the 10k. Because let's face it, having the summer off I didn't have a ton I really had to do. Thus, more time to work out when I please.
On, another note where has summer gone? It is seriously already July 23rd. School starts in less than a month!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Good luck on the race! Hope you have fun!
Well if this is true, then I am one healthy person because I sweat a lot. :) I can't wait to hear about the 10k! Good thing I'm seeing you tomorrow so I can get the scoop :)
seriously, sweating is gross. i hate it.
Post a Comment