Monday, August 29, 2011

Adam's 30th Brithday

Adam's 30th birthday was really fun. I had been thinking about and planning for this big day for a couple months prior. In general I typically like to go-all-out for birthdays. They are a big deal to me and I think they are fun to celebrate. But the 30th birthday is one of the "milestone" birthdays. I wanted Adam's 30th birthday to be amazing and give him something he would remember and love. But, what to you get a 30 year old?


Well, I asked Adam what he wanted for his birthday and he replied "I think I just want our friends to come over and have Kazookies (pizza cookies with ice cream)". I could have guessed it. Adam loved cookies and ice cream.

So we started his 30th birthday by enjoying Kazookies with friends one evening.


However, I had been planning on making Adam's 30th birthday a day of celebration. So when his actual birthday arrived on Wednesday this is what I had planned.

He woke up to a pile of presents and decorations in the morning

Crew and I go him some needed clothing

Then Adam went to work for the day...but not for long. Secretly, I had emailed his boss and asked for permission to take Adam away from work early for the day.

So about 2 hours later I surprised him at work and stole him away...to Park City that is.

On the way to Park City he opened up more presents in the car (new golf shoes and a new golf glove). It is a long drive and I was planning for his present-opening to last all day long.

I took Adam to the Canyons resort where we rode the gondola up the mountain to the Red Pine Lodge.(I had been there previously with my family but Adam had to work so he missed out when we all went earlier this summer).


Of course Adam got the burger and I the brisket. The burger was better.


Crew got the Mac n' Cheese

After lunch we drove a few miles over to the Park City Resort and we rode the Alpine Coaster.




Amazing! It is a newer ride at Park City resort. It is right next to the Alpine slide but it is so much more fun! Because we had crew we took turns going but it worked out great.

He was a trooper through all of this.

A lot of my planning and thinking for Adam's 30th revolved around what to get him. I wanted it to be a surprise and something big...A gift worth 30 years of life.

I came up with a little scavenger hunt to introduce Adam to his gift. I set it up before I left to get Adam from work. When we pulled into the garage from returning from Park City he saw his first clue which sent him to the mailbox.


From the mailbox he was lead to the back yard

In the grill he found his next clue, which also included another present. 

Then he was lead to the front door.

When he was finally able to walk in to the house he found his present wrap and waiting for him.

What could it be?
. 
. 
.


That's right. A new bike!


Adam and I have been talking about getting bikes for quite some time now . But I wanted to get him a really nice bike that would make riding enjoyable and last for a lot of years. So, I made the plunge and got him a Cannondale.

He was totally surprised and so excited.

I had been waiting all day for him to open his gift. I think I was more excited for him to open it than he was.


We went to dinner at Chucky Cheese's that night to celebrate our nieces birthday and Crew was obsessed with all the rides. It was fun to end the day with family.

Happy 30 years to Adam!

1 comment:

Dan and Heather said...

I think birthdays are a big deal too! I love that you spoiled him, you did a good job!!