Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Harvest

Fall is probably my favorite season for many reasons. One of the main reasons I love fall is the harvest of all the fresh fruits and vegetables--especially from our garden.

Every day I check our garden to see what is ready. It is a simple pleasure I have in life.

Lately, I have picked beans, peas, zucchini, raspberries, cabbage, strawberries, and tomatoes. All these fresh foods get me in the kitchen cooking. I have been making zucchini bread, blueberry lemon buttermilk cake, and more. There is nothing better than fresh berries...Delicious! 

I find myself drawn to farmers markets, bountiful baskets, and even Costco has great produce!

Here is a quick sampling of what I have been cooking lately.

Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping

   
Found on this site

Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Cake


I found it on this site

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

 

Ingredients:
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 blocks) melted
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup sugar, white
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions: Prepare two 8x4-inch loaf pans by greasing and flouring or by lining with parchment paper. Melt unsweetened chocolate  (microwave in 30 sec increments) and set aside. Wash and grate zucchini; set aside. Measure flour, salt, soda, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl and stir. In a separate bowl beat by hand eggs. Than add sugars, oil, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add zucchini and stir. Mix in dry ingredient until incorporated. Add chocolate chips and mix in. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.
Buttermilk Waffles

 

Ingredients:
3 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 1/2 + cups Buttermilk milk
4 Tbsp sugar
10 Tbsp oil

Directions: Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together. Beat eggs for about 2 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and stir until just blended. Add extra buttermilk until and desired consistency of batter is reached (maybe 1/4 cup extra). Let it sit for about 5 minutes if you have the time. Cook in a preheated waffle iron. Top with berries, syrup, or whipped cream.

I would love to know your favorite recipes with fresh fruits and veggies--especially zucchini since I have a ton still to pick.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I would love zucchini recipes too! My garden has a ton. I end up bringing most of it to Rachel. And anytime you want to drop off some of that lemon blueberry cake or chocolate zucchini bread at Timberline, I won't complain :)

Spencer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Sorry, I was logged in under my husband... Anyway, I started following your blog a few weeks ago and love the crafty things you do!
My mom makes noodles out of zucchini and it's awesome! Super tiny grated ones for spaghetti or alfredo, or wide thin ones (like with a cheese slicer) for lasagna. Try it!