Friday, April 17, 2009

D.C. Day 3: A day to myself

Day 3 I spent by myself because Abby and Cat had to work and my teacher friends were not getting into D.C. until latter that night. So, I visited all the Smithsonians. I have to say that most people may not think that going to museums alone sounds like fun, but it was so nice. I was able to go at my own pace and enjoy my time just learning about each museums treasures. So, here is a recap of the highlights that I enjoyed as I had a day to myself on D.C.

When I got off the Metro, the Washington Monument was the first thing I saw. In my opinion...A great way to start the day. Below is a picture of the National Mall where all the Smithsonians are located.

First stop,
National Museum of American History

This museum is full of everything that has shaped our country into what it is today. From pictures and uniforms from past wars to Judy Garland's Ruby slippers this museum was my second favorite. (Newseum is my first)


Had a whole section dedicated to the general motors of America.

Julie Child's original Kitchen.
My favorite part of the American History museum was the First Lady's Dresses. This is First Lady Taft's dress.


The War of 1812 produce our American flag and National Anthem. Here is the original American Flag with fragments cut out when people snip off parts for souvenirs.


Lincoln's Top Hat


Second Stop,
National Museum of Natural History

Dinosaurs.

The Natural history museum has rooms full of gems which I loved but didn't realize they were a part of this museum. There were thousands of gems, including the Hope diamond which is 45 carrots large!


A room full of Orchids. One of my favorite flowers.


Center piece of the Nature History Museum. I know in the Movie Night at the Museum T-Rex is the center piece, but in real life it is this African Elephant. (since I was by myself I couldn't take pictures with me in them. However, I did have a lady take this pic for me and is turned out okay. Honestly, it is hard to find a stranger who takes good pictures.)

Third stop,
National Galleria of Art

Some people don't like art gallerias but I love them. I never tire of looking at classic pieces of art. At the galleria there was a special exhibition of Franks "American People" taken in black and white that really grabbed at my emotions. I couldn't take photos of Frank's work but it was inspiring.

One of my favorite paintings ever, Rembrant's the Windmill.


A great painting titled, Haystacks in Brittany by Paul Gauguin. I took a double take at it and every time I look at it I like it more and more.

Fourth Stop,
National Archives

Declaration of Independence. Very faded and I could barley see John Hancock's signature.


Constitution


Fifth Stop,
George Town

When Abby got off work I met up with her and Cat in George Town. Abby works at George Town University so went met there and ate dinner on M street which is a fabulous street full of character and lined with shops, restaurants, and close to the river front. We ate dinner at Old Glory and delicious BQQ hit then walked down to the river front where there is the beautiful water fountain. Lucky for us we didn't get rained on once.


I have to admit I was a little worried about being alone all day in D.C. but looking back I loved it! I would do it again if I could. Plus, the whether was perfect... not humid, not too hot, didn't rain, and was sunny. A perfect day.

No comments: