Thursday, April 14, 2011

Head board

I am obsessed with our guest room head board I made. 


I finished it last night and went to sleep so happy thinking about
1. how much I love the headboard and 
2. how impressed I am that it actually turned out!

For over and year I have been looking for a headboard. The funny thing is, is that I kept finding ones I liked but couldn't justify buying. So, my SIL and I came up with a way to make a copy of the one we liked. And Waa Laa! 

It was so easy. I didn't think I would post a tutorial on how I made it so pictures are few along the way but it is so easy you really don't even need that many pictures. Here is how I made it. 



1. Bought plywood (particle board would work too) at Lowes for $12.00. It meausred 4 x 8 ft I believe. 

2. Have Lowes cut the board for you. For a queen size bed you only need 60 inches wide. I kept the length at 4 ft. So 4 x 5 ft. (I took the smaller left over board and am planning another project). 

3. Buy fabric of your choice. I found my fabric at a designer fabric store in Draper that is going out of business. It was 70 % off which made my total $6.00 for 2 yards. Screamin' Deal!

4. Bought batting at Joannes. I used a 40% off coupon which made the batting $13.00. The batting comes on a packed roll of 10 yards and is the perfect length and width. It is in clear plastic with pink labeling background. Sorry I don't know the exact kind I bought since I threw it away. I used the entire roll of batting and just layered until it was gone. I then trimmed off the excess batting. 

5. Lay your board on the ground and layer the batting on top. While layering it fold it slighly maybe 1
inch over the edges so you have enough to pull over the edge to staple to the back of the board. 

6. Staple gun the batting to the back of the board. 

7. Lay your fabric on top of the batting.

8. Using the staple gun again (you may want to have a friend help you with this part) staple the fabric to the back of the board. Staples should be about 4-5 inches apart. 

9. Continue to staple each side of the fabric to the board. Make sure you pull it TIGHT and check after each side so ensure you don't have wrinkles. Also make sure the are pulled nice and tight so you don't have a bunchy corner. You want the corners looking sharp and straight.


10. Hammer in the nail head trim. I bought my trim online from DIY Upholstery Supply. Trim = $16.00 and shipping was $15.00.  





11. Measure the length of trim you need. Cut the length and make sure you start with the trim nail head that you hammer in a nail and not a fake one. Every 5th nail heads is hammered in.

 


12. Hammer in your nail heads.

13. Your are done! Total cost is $60.00


I just have my head board on the ground but you could easily screw it into the bed frame if you want to have it higher on the wall. Eventually I will paint this room so the wall color and head board are not the same--but for now I am content just having a bed in this room so that it can actually be used as a guest room.

10 comments:

KB said...

Love it tnx for sharing!

Darci said...

I LOVE it! I wish we hadn't spent so much money on crappy headboards in our guest rooms that I don't even like that much. It turned out great!

Chelsea said...

nice job, im impressed. someday ill re-do my hideous guest room and you can help me. thank you.

Celine said...

Love it! We've been thinking about making our own headboard for a while so we might just have to try your method.

The Stanley's said...

Amazing!!great idea!

Leanne said...

love it! I have been meaning to make one for our room. Thanks for posting the tut!

lyndsey said...

This is amazing. I need to see your house in real life.

Tina said...

Very cool. I'll have to keep that one in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Fletch said...

wow you are sooooo creative / talented! it turned out beautiful! i always get fun ideas from your blog. thanks for sharing!

KimBosler said...

You are so amazing!! Kendra has bragged so much about you and now I know why. Thanks for taking the time to post and share! Have you ever read the frugal gazette? You could have written the book, I can tell.
Kim